Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mischief of one kind...and another.

There's no stopping the Tan-man!



Tanner is now 11 months old. He's a recap of the past month...yes..another long, drawn-out post. But I can't help myself!

Tanner acquired a new smile. And I love it. It's the squinty smile. He usually does it sticking out those two little bottom teeth. It's hard saying no to this adorable little face!


Cupboards and doors while provides plently of entertainment, it's unfortunately been the source of many pinched fingers. We keep thinking he'll learn...but that day has yet to come.
In the bathroom...

Or in the kitchen...

He tries to "help" with the dishes. I'd say he's a little too young.


Climbs everyone and anywhere. I'm now resigned myself to be a jungle gym. When I'm holding him, he'll use me as a bouncing pad. Or when we're sitting, he'll climb all over me.



Magnets on the fridge. He LOVES these letters. He pulls them all off the fridge - one by one - even if it means reaching for them on his very tippy toes. He'll find a way to get it. And he's just now learning how to put them back on the fridge after he's pulled them all off.



Pretty much - anything with lots of peices that can be taken down or emptied is now a favorite pasttime. Books of shelves. Toys in bins. Legos in a bag. Letters on the fridge. Food in the cupboards. Silverware in the Dishwasher.

Chatts on the cell phone. He LOVES to play with my cell phone - and I already noticed him holding it up to his ear just like we do. So smart!

Trickster. He loves to perform. At least for Anthony and I. He'll clap his hands, give power to the people (ie superman arm), raise his hands when you ask "how big our you", tilt his head and smile, or my personal fav, give high 5s.

He loves the attention, and sometimes demands it. When he wants you to look at him, he'll turn you're head for you if you're looking away. He loves to laugh. He'll start laughing himself, wait for you to laugh, and then laugh some more. Such a silly little kid. Anthony brings out all the giggles in him. They've had a good time playing together everyday over the past 2 weeks which Anthony had a short break from school.

One night, I was trying to put Tanner to bed for evening, but he had other ideas. He started doing all his tricks at once. High fives, super intense smile, power to the people, so big, etc.

Chitter chatter. Tanner loves to chat. It's mostly baby talk, but I can make out mama or mom clearly. Sometimes da-da and ba-ba too.

  • When you ask him a question, he'll usually respond. Or if he's tired it'll be nonstop chatter. Or when he's wided awake and in a really happy mood.

  • His favorite word is by far ma-ma. When he's sad, this is always what he sobs when he's crying. And how can I say no? I don't know to count these as his first "words" cause I still can't tell if he's linked it together.

  • When Tanner hears another baby, he has to chirp in too. Or when Anthony asked if he was ready for bed, he responded with a NO as clear as could be. A peer coincidence...but perfect timing.
Reading books. He loves flipping through the pages of the lift-the-flap book. His favorite is a pop-up book that has 3D pages. We read it so much I'm suprised it hasn't been torn to shreds yet. Part of me wished I would never have introduced him to these books cuz he thinks every book has to have flaps or pop-ups and anxiously searches for them on the pages and is disappointed and uninterested if they are not to be found. He's also started pointing - which started out when we'd read and point to various objects - especially the counting books - and now he does it when he sees other things as well.






Spring Training. Football. In Texas, they start training early. They are serious about their sports. We have a friend who has a son the same age as Tanner - and they've already talked about holding him back a grade - for various reasons - but one of which is sports. Ridiculous. I personally hope Tanner NEVER plays football. Any other sport, but football is too dangerous. And now I'm starting to sound like my mother.


We take the good with the bad. Tanner's also starting throwing tauntrums. Basically, when he doesn't get his way, he's wiggle and squirm until there's nothing you can do and it's impossible to hold him. Diaper changes, nap time, taking away a toy, or even just walking down the hall to his room cause bring them on. Luckily, this doesn't happen very often, just when he's really tired. And I'm hoping it's a phase that passes quickly.

He's also become shy and bashful around people he doesn't know. He's like a whole new little baby - and acts like a serious old man - around people he doesn't know very well or really large groups. We need to get him out more often!

Food. Tanner's world of food has brought him a whole new world of satisfaction. A wagon full on pancakes - He'll eat two whole pancake - if not more - by himself - followed by even more fruit. He's growing less and less fond of normal baby food, but we keep trying new things and he loves it all! He loves it all! Pasta, pizza, pancakes, cheese, beans, all fruits and most veggies. Not always a big fan on meat, but mostly cause it's not very tender and hard for him to chew.




Walking around furniture and standing on his own. But I think it'll be at least another month before he starts walking. But we will see!

He generally enjoys playing with his toys on his own, but when I'm in sight, he'll follow me around the house. With doors, drawers, and cupboards in evry room of the house, he always has something that catches his attention.

I just a few more weeks...he'll be 1 year old. I'm still in denial. I want him to stay by little baby and not grow up. But there's no stopping him.