Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Feeding Frenzy – August 11th

OMG! I never had a clue how hard in was to breast feed. Not only did I underestimate how uncomfortable it was at first, but how much time it took and how often you have to feed them. At first, Tanner pretty much took an hour to feed in one sitting and then wanted to eat every hour - which meant that I was spending at least 8-12 hours a day feeding him. Actually, if he had it his way, he’d be attached 24/7. The hardest part was as night. I’d only have an hour or so in-between feedings before he would be ready to eat again. It was so exhausting not being able to fall into a deep sleep.

It was really hard when we were first starting out, and as a friend explained, it’s really not a natural process and is the first thing both you and the baby have to learn. In the hospital, Tanner was fed through an IV a portion of the time and we were separated, so he was use to drinking a bottle, which made it even more difficult to try to breastfeed. We were able to make the transition back to breastfeeding, but am “cheating” by using a shield. And while I had hopes for weaning him off in a short amount of time, we’re still working on it.

If you would have asked me how long I wanted to breast feed Tanner before he was born, I easily would have said a year. But now I’m taking in on a week-by-week basis. I had to just keep reminding myself of the many benefits it is to Tanner - and that was enough to keep me going.

I guess a part of me felt so tied down – I was sitting in one place for most of the day. But now I’ve found good books to read and even got cable television – so it’s much more enjoyable and helps me to relax so I’m not stressing about how much he’s eating and whether it’s enough or too much.
Now it’s been over a month and I can say I’ve had a change of heart and actually enjoy it. He’s so cute to watch when he’s eating – sometimes he’s wide away and acts like a little animal as he’s eating, and then sometimes he’s half asleep and so cuddly. It’s our time we’re able to spend together to bond. And while I’m able to hold him as much as I want to now, it’ll be different when I go back to work and want to be able to continue to have that connection.