One thing I've learned...Everything is bigger in Texas.
And the State Fair is no exception.
It's home to everything Fried. It's proud originator of the Cornie Dog. But it doesn't stop there.
Fried Pickles, Okra, Snickers, Twinkies, Cheesecurds, Oreos, Coke, and even this year's winner - Butter - are just a few on the selections.
But every year I try something new - like the fried bacon - and have serious regrets. So this year, I stuck with the basics. A cornie dog and a funnel cake. There's a reason they've been around FOREVER! So good!!! But I didn't stop there - I also tried the Fried Cheesecake (disappointing!) and Cheesecurds (reminded me of WI as a kid - loved it!). But I so should have stopped after the funnel cake...
So we got ourselves some food, watched a few pig races (hilarious!),
and then checked out the petting zoo.
This was Tanner's favorite.




I was going to let Tanner try a ride, but we ran out of time by the time we circled the fair grounds looking for Anthony. Note to self - always stick together!!! And don't say, I'm next to the Cottonbowl cause the football stadium circles the ENTIRE park. We got lost - and it was so lame. And next time, don't go when it's Texas vs OU weekend.

But the best part was seeing Mary Poppins. Anthony and I made a date out of it while Chels took Tanner home. While I've seen a lot of musicals, but this was one of my favorites. It made me feel like a little kid again. And I loved the special affects - Burt was tap-dancing on the ceiling and Mary Poppins flew out into the audience. But for some reason the story really resonated with me - I love how Burt, the chimney sweeper - was their guardian angel looking over them. It's the people covered with dirt that you barely know exist that help you the most.


