Friday, April 6, 2012

Tannerisms 2012

I'm desperately trying to catch up on posting about Tanner before this new little addition comes to our family. Here's some of my favorite stories and quotes that have been accumulating over the past months:

SUPERHEROES

At Chik-Fil-A, Tanner saw a police officer eating lunch. As he walked by him, Tanner commented, "He rescues people just like me!" His super-Tanner-hero shirt he was wearing gave him every bit of confidence.

CHOICE WORDS

"Holy Crap, that tree is covered in toilet paper" Tanner recently commented as we drove by a neighbors house that had been recently tee-peed. Anthony explained that perhaps "Holy crap" was not the best choice of words. Tanner's response was, "Well, I'm just talking to myself."

And a few days later, I overheard Tanner playing by himself and said the same"Holy Crap" phrase. But this time it was followed was immediately followed by an "Oops, I didn't mean to say that." And he didn't even know I was listening...

When he gets reprimanded, it's not uncommon to hear, "We'll you're not the best [at XZY]" or even better, "I'm just a different person!" I see the teenage years starting early...

But unfortunately, he's not the only person that says things we later regret. While I usually like to think I'm really patient with him, one day I most definitely was not. I freaked out on him and he was totally shocked and ran to his room crying. When I apologized to him, he reminded me, "Mommies are never ever suppose to yell. They are suppose to say, [Tanner turning on his sweet high pitched voice], "Please don't do that and ask nicely."

Oh yes...you are right son!! My own words coming back to remind me...


SHOPPING BUDDIES

When I let Tanner pick out a toy from the store today for Valentine's Day, he was in shock.

Is it my birthday or Christmas?
Mom, does this cost money?
Do you have money with you?
Do I get to take it home with me or does it have to stay at the store?
Do I have to bring it back to the store in a few days? ... Or does this mean I have to bring another toy back to the store?

He went through every reason I had ever given him on why he couldn't get a toy. And afterwards, I've never seen him so happy!! I LOVE that little man.

One day at the grocery shopping, Tanner all-of-a sudden was hungry and starving, of course.

"Okay, let's go get a cookie."
But he saw some rolls, and insisted of one of them instead.
"Are you sure, here's a cookie?" I tried to ensue.
"No, I don't want it. I just want a roll. "

Seriously, what kid says NO to a cookie?? Tanner is Anthony's son, 100%! But agreeing that a roll was a slightly healthier option, I consented.


BIRTHDAYS
For Anthony's birthday, Tanner wanted to help make the cake. He's my little assistant when it comes to baking in the kitchen.

"Let's make a cake for Daddy a yummy carrot cake for his birthday."
"No, he wants a chocolate cake!"
"Really? Daddy just told me he wanted a carrot cake."
"Let's make a chocolate cake!"
And I wonder who wanted the chocolate one...


Tanner went to a birthday party and became distraught that his friend, Easton, was turning 4 and Tanner wasn't. I explained to Tanner that he would have a birthday in the summer, and then also turn 4. "Oh, and then I'll be older than him!"


DOCTOR'S OFFICE VISIT
Tanner managed to poke his eye at school, and from there, the rest of the day was downhill. I didn't think much of it, just figured he was tired and not feeling well, so I picked him up early from school and he slept for 3+ hours, but intermittently, would wake up screaming that his eye was hurting, but then fall back asleep a few minutes later. Even when he finally woke up, he was refusing to open his eyes.

We called the pediatrician a visit and she fit us in right away. Apparently he had scratched his cornea or lodged some dirt in the back of his eye. The doctor put special drops in his eyes and flushed them out, all of which he did not approve. Afterwards, it was better much better and within another nights sleep, completely better.

When the doctor left for a brief moment, Tanner looked at the equipment sitting next to him on the table, like a big que-tip, and said in all seriousness, "Those are very dangerous!"

GENDER-IDENTITY
I was taking Tanner to the bathroom, and he insisted on using the men's restroom. At first he ran in there and it was a miracle he ever came back out. I tried to explain how girls don't use mens restrooms, but it's okay having him come into the women's restroom with me, but apparently was not being successful. "No, it's okay. No one is in here. See, there's a girl on the picture too -- pointing to a handicapped pic on the door."

How do I explain to him to ignore other stereotypes, like boys can eat of a pink plate, drink red fruit punch, or use girl's syrup (thanks, Aunt Jemima), but some things can definitely not be crossed.
ON A SPIRITUAL NOTE

When I told Tanner he couldn't go to church since he wasn't feeling good, he told me, "But God will miss me!"

We went to KC to visit family in January. Mason, his cousin [my Mason-y according to Tanner], was having a heard time wanting to go to sleep my himself and was getting scared. We offered to have Tanner and Mason share a room to make the transition a little easier. Tanner piped in, "Yes, I'll be Jesus and protect you!"

Tanner had the right idea, but yet so very wrong.

My favorite part about Sundays is having Tanner come home singing his favorite primary songs. "Families can be Together Forever" and "I loved in Heaven" are 2 of his recent faves. After singing the song one night, I commented that his new lil sister was in Heaven now with Jesus and that when she's born, she'll come to live with us. He thought about this for a moment, and then commented, "No, I think she's in your belly!" He had me on that one...