This summer, I had the crazy notion to sign Tanner up for private swim lessons.
I felt like I was paying money to have my son turtured. He hated it! On Day One, he told me, "I was drowning Mommy and you didn't save me!" The teacher said that response is typical and that the next few days would get easier. Well - Day two he didn't fight it at all - and barely cried. But Day three and on was just a replica of Day One. When we tried to go swimming for with some friends just for fun, he refused to get in the water. So instead of making progress, we moved backwards. Personally, I didn't love his teacher, but she did come highly recommended from several close friends -- so who knows.
With us moving to KS, this was one of the fun summer "sports" activities he could participate in start to finish. With the addition of Brooke, I wanted him to swim more independently. Our new home has a neighborhood swimming pool just down the street so I envisioned all my summer freetime being spend poolside (although that is yet to happen!).
He did make some progress, but it was minimal. When the teacher was there, he knew he had to do it. On his own, I can't get him to do anything as he'd make a run for it the first chance he got. For now, I just want him to have a love of the water and not be scared so I haven't been pushing him to do more.
Tanner "floating" on his back:


