Saturday, June 29, 2013

Tanner’s Preschool Spring Show

 

Oh my holy cuteness.  If I already wasn't in LOVE with Tanner's preschool, this definitely sealed the deal.

Tanner's preschool class hosted a Spring Show and we got a little glimpse into some of the things they had learned during the year:

Haitian Alphabet Song

There were a few other adorable parts that I didn’t video tape – like counting by fives and counting by tens.   They would do it in different voices – and Tanner especially enjoyed the cowboy version. 

Sign Language Alphabet

 

“Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” Bell Song

And the grand finale was a play.  Tanner had been so excited about this – he’d come home telling me the ENTIRE plot every day – and just thought it was so fun to dress up like a monster and throw mud pies…at least until…ok…you’ll just have to watch the show :) 

“A Preschool Fairy Tale” Play

We were so proud of my lil preschool graduate!!  He has a tendency to be shy, but he didn't let it show.  He sang all the songs and knew all his parts. 

He has enjoyed being a part of Little Learner's Preschool this year.  He ALWAYS comes home with the cutest projects, like paper cup rocket launchers, Santa Christmas count-down, handmade dinosaur fossils, and no matter the unit, Ms. Bonnie went ALL out to make it fun and educational.

school projects

Tanner is right on track academically to start Kindergarten – he can identify almost numbers up to 20 and knows/recognizes each of the letters of the alphabet.  He likes to write his name and other words, but will sometimes start from the bottom rather than the top, although if you ask him where letters should start, he’ll always say the top.  He’s beginning to sound out words and loves to just look through books, and is always asking what words mean.  He also know basic math addition and subtraction, and the other day he was doodling with a small white board he started “practicing” on a piece of blank paper and writing/talking  2+2 = 4. 

The only hard part is deciding whether he should start Kindergarten next year.  Since he has a July birthday, it’s always been something at the back of my mind.  But there’s no blatantly obvious reason on why he should be held back.  And I’m sure he would do great if he started Kindergarten – he would love it.  But then I think about the the teenager years, leaving for college or a mission one year earlier, and I can’t help but think how much EXTRA good one more year can be.  And how I’ll have one extra year with him before he leaves home.   So I’m totally on the fence about it, and will be making a decision soon, but I’ll be honest if I wasn’t completely torn.  

But anyhow, back to Tanner’s Preschool.  This was such a breath air for us -- Tanner LOVED every minute of it!! In the fall, he struggled at another preschool environment where he would could home in tears because of one kid.  I dismissed it as first thinking he was still "adjusting" to moving to Kansas, where previously in Dallas, in his old preschool class -- 3 out of the 5 were close friends from church he had grown up with and he was surrounded by kids that just LOVED Tanner.  But when I dropped him off at school, the student would routinely yell out, "I don't like you Tanner!" in front of everyone.   We talked to the teacher and waited for it to get better -- but this kid was just a hard one to control and it didn't really get better.  And some days he’d come home telling me how he was his best friend, but then it would switch back the next.  And I know kids will eventually have to deal with this sort of thing, but not this young.  Preschool should be fun and exciting - not something you dread.

Then I found about Ms Bonnie's preschool --and after one lesson -- fell in LOVE.  She taught Kindergarten for years, but eventually decided to have one out of her home, and her WHOLE first level was all decked out for preschool.  She's a member of our church, along with most of the children, and we could feel the love and warmth emulated by her and other students.

Teachers will always hold a special place in my heart. We LOVED Ms Kennedy last year at Ridgewood Park in Dallas, and LOVED Ms Bonnie this year. There's just no words to explain the gratitude I feel for their individual efforts to teach with love and patience. I hope this trend continues as he starts elementary school, cause so far, we've been so BLESSED to have truly wonderful teachers.  Thanks Bonnie!!!