Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First Day of Pre-K

Tanner started Pre-K today.  Hallelujah!  I know, I should be sad.  But I'm not.  This has been much anticipated day ALL summer long. 

Having two children makes me feel so outnumbered! These days Brooke requires SO much attention and when I finally get her down for a nap, I'm playing catch-up with Tanner. You know it's a good day if I get 10 minutes to myself to shower. I still make long to-do lists, but get frustrated that I seem to get nothing done. But then I remember they're only this little for so long -- and begin being thankful for these memories we're building together. I guarantee Tanner doesn't care if I cleaned the toilet bowl or scrubbed the kitchen floors -- but I hope he'll remember all the times I played Firefigher Legos. He's an addict :)


Tanner was excited too, but a little hesitant at the same time. 

Tanner was so excited about his new backback -- he didn't even take it off in the car.  But he was so tired he fell asleep on the way over -- geesh!

When I picked him up, Tanner asked if he could stay longer tomorrow.  Success!!  We celebrated the first day of school by going to get frozen yogurt.  Yummy!!  Tanner told me all about the class pet -- a guinea pig named Apple.  But you can't put your fingers near his mouth or he'll think it's a carrot and eat it!  He said he made lots of new friends, but couldn't remember their names.  Maybe tomorrow...


I'm a little OCD about preschools.  After having a few bad experiences, I'm kinda a nazi about it.  Last year, we had an amazing year at Ridgewood Park Preschool -- but Tanner was in a class with 4 of his bestest friends and Ms Kennedy was a godsend.

When I searched in KS, majority of the schools were full.  And if they weren't, there was a good reason why not.  But alas, I found the perfect preschool, and honestly, couldn't have designed one better myself. 


St. Paul's Preschool incorporates montessori based ideas for hands-on, tactile learning experience utilizing all the senses -- which means no workpapers!  The beautiful, modern school on tons of acreage allowing the children to do artwork in the shaded woods, observe fish and frogs near the pond, etc.  The children study master artist and create their own art piece following that artist's style -- and showcase at an annual Art Fair.  They incorporate music and movements, and have special "Jesus and Me" class sessions where they play with different toys designed to teach biblical stories.  I knew instantly walking into the school this was the one for us.  And if I had any doubts, it went away when I saw their first fieldtrip was to a Fire Station.  I have a feeling Tanner is going to LOVE school this year!!