Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas Eve

We had such an amazing Christmas, filled with laughter, friends, and family, topped with the warmth of His Love. 

IMG_9129

Giving

On Christmas Eve, we made a new tradition of GIVING.  We busily assembled and dropped off little bundles for the kids’ neighborhood friends.  Between scouts and school, Tanner has gotten to know quite a few friends!  I picked something simple Tanner could do – he filled mason jars with M&Ms, attached this Christmas M&M poem, and made name tags for over a dozen friends.  I’m not very creative, but I can copy really well :)

The best part was delivering them to the friends home.  The kids ALL wanted to help, even Rylee.  As we were getting out of the car, Brooke saw some decorations on the lawn, and yelled ahead, “Tanner – Look out for the REINDEER!” as if it was about to take off right in front of him.   She is SO funny.  As we delivered them, it even started to snow!  Yes, Christmas is a magical time of the year.

11cdbf50f98ecd44e95e5248af774c46

Brooke insisted on making some for her 2 best friends – Scarlett and Quincy.  Later in the day, she came with me as I dropped off more goodies of home-baked yumminess.  Growing up, I was always my mom’s elf—one of my earliest Christmas memories isn’t opening gifts, but helping her with all the wrapping the night before.  So…I hope Brooke continues to the tradition and loves to be my little elf!

On Christmas Eve night, we had a few close friends over, Zach and Sara, along with my parents and brother Brendan.  Usually we get together with our HUGE extended family, but this year it worked  better for everyone to only get together on Christmas Day. 

And by those SMILES, the kids LOVED all the extra attention!

IMG_9052IMG_9050  IMG_9054

The Muppets Christmas Carol came highly recommended so we watched it together.  We loved it – all the cute songs and the Muppets kept us laughing, even during the scarier parts with the ghosts appearing.   

   muppet 2

By far the highlight of the night…was a SNOWBALL FIGHT! 

One of Anthony’s fondest memories as a child was “sock wars.”  They’d start a snowball fight in the family room with tons of socks balled up together.  Well – it’s about time we pass the tradition along to our family. 

IMG_9059 IMG_9062

Everyone was throwing snowballs…everyone!IMG_9070 IMG_9073 IMG_9067  IMG_9078

Brendan would hoard them – then throw them like a bandit!IMG_9081 IMG_9091IMG_9090 

And I’m not sure who…but someone stuff Rylee’s shirt with snowballs in exactly the right places.  She was laughing and grabbing at them…it was HILARIOUS!

IMG_9086IMG_9088IMG_9085  

Nothing can really capture the evening…

This idea came when I found cute packages of snowballs on clearance.  Next year, each kid might also get a pkg of socks along with their Christmas jammies – so the epic SNOWBALLING can begin.

The Nativity

We watched a Bible Video of the Nativity here and then re-enacted a simpler version from Luke Chapter 2.

The props were minimal (this is where the extended family helps out!), not that Brooke would have worn it.  But it was cute and adorable none-the-less.

Pregnant Mary and Joseph travel on a donkey to Bethlehem.IMG_9095 - Copy

And the Innkeeper looks a little too happy about there not being room in the inn – but offers a lowly stable instead.IMG_9098 - Copy

And it was there the Christ-child was born.IMG_9116 - Copy

And the Angel appeared to the shepherds, saying “Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.”

And I’m obviously not a good shepherd cause my only sheep was trying to hide :) IMG_9101 - Copy

And the star appeared in the East.IMG_9103 IMG_9107 - Copy  IMG_9114 - Copy 

“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”

We sang our favorite Christmas carols, in which Tanner stayed in character and BAA-ed the entire time. 

IMG_9121

In the hussle and bussle of the Christmas season, I hope you have had time to reflect on the Savior life’s and teachings, on that Holy Night years ago.  One random day running errands with a car full of kids, tears were in my eyes as I listened to “O Holy Night” on the radio.  I promise you there is a calmness and joy that only HE can bring, for he is truly the Prince of Peace.  I Love Him!

The kids then hurried off to bed, but not before taking a million pics, hoping for one cute one!

IMG_9123 IMG_9125 IMG_9127 IMG_9129 IMG_9131

Tanner happily declared, “I can’t WAIT for Santa to come!”  which then caused Brooke to be alarmed, “But I don’t like him.  I don’t want Santa to come!”  She hasn’t been a fan…all season long. 

While the kids went to bed and “visions of sugar-plums danced in their head,” we played a few games with just the adults.  We tried to play COUP, but my mom quickly declared she didn’t like it and we needed a new game.  Instead, we played cards – something I knew we’d all like.  We played “Up and Down the River” and the boys kept joking how they were playing for $$$, with Zach being a professional and all.  Finally, my mom blurted out, “We’re not playing for money, we’ll play for NUTS!” To her credit, my dad happened to be cracking a bowl full of nuts right next to her, but still, we couldn’t stop laughing, all night long.  Good times, good times. 

IMG_7202

Then it was time let the “elves go to work” and find all those gifts hidden away.  But next year, Santa may need to re-locate his workshop from my closet and the basement…cause someone peeked and saw something they shouldn’t have!

Tanner told Anthony he knew for SURE he was getting a Nerf bow and arrow.  I thought it was cause that’s what he told Santa he wanted – and he definitely BELIEVED Santa would pull through for him.  Yet on Christmas Eve night (when it’s clearly too late)– Anthony told me Tanner was in there playing and saw the package  **sigh**

But the elf should have learned her lesson from last year not to wait til the last moment to wrap presents, considering I spend Christmas Eve in the ER until 3am with the worst gall-bladder attack.  At that point, I was grateful to just be alive, and didn’t mind wrapping at 3am. 

Health is a beautiful gift, and thankfully, we were the healthiest we’ve been all Fall  leading up to Christmas.  We miraculously escaped the flu and stomach bugs, and I’m pretty sure the rest of KC, and my extended family FOR SURE, was not as fortunate.

 IMG_7207

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!!!