Merry Christmas to our family and friends! We hope you’ve had a happy and joyous year. Here’s a quick recap of our year:
We’ve learned to be careful what you name your child. Rylee (14 months) is always, always all RILED up! (For future reference, names like Serenity sound amazing). She’s always on the go, conquering the stairs and the playground, and when we’re not looking—the toilet. Before her 1st birthday, she’d climb to the top of the slide, go down on her belly, then repeat 20 times, all by herself. Through various octaves of shrills and shreaks, there’s never a doubt what she wants, yet says “thank you” in the sweetest voice known to mankind. She’s a thrill-seeker by day, and a cuddle bug by night. She thinks she’s still attached to an umbilical cord, requiring constant rocking and feedings. She’s adorable, loves to laugh – and no doubt her energy and passion are unmatched.
Brooke (2) is a ray of sunshine mixed with a whole lotta drama. She’s usually scheming up a plan that involves seeing her cousins – “my Quincy” and “my Scarlett.” And once together, they accessorize until they’re piled high in tutus and necklaces. She’s a little mastermind and self-taught in colors, shapes, and counts into the teens. If you stop at 10, she’ll ask you to keep going to 25! Yet her intelligence is too often spent triggering upheavals with “a-nah-nah-a-boo-boo” and pretending she can’t hear you when she’s in trouble.
Brooke’s favorites include singing along with Mr. Froggy at music class or coloring/painting at home, although she’s still learning bodies and kitchens are not canvases. She’s got a strong-willed streak that runs deep (no clue where that came from!) and can reach any height she sets her mind on. Quite literally – with the help of a stool! She frequents the pantry daily – trying to sustain life on “petzel wolls.” When she enters the room, she lights it up with her dramatic entries, huge smiles and lashes. She frequently breaks out in song and dance, spinning and twirling along her merry way, and never stops TALKING. I have to say, 2 might be my favorite stage! I hear repeatedly Brooke is just like me, and it’s the best complement I’ve received.
Family life seems to revolve around Tanner (6). He’s taken a liking to sports – soccer, baseball, basketball – but his new fave is Cub Scouts. He imagines elaborate stories, transforming anything (think bottle caps) into super heroes. He plays with Legos all day (not sure that’ll ever change). When I pulled out the KRAGLE this year, he said I was hurting his feelings. Ok, you win! He overcame major fears– learning to swim the entire length of the pool and performing a magic show for his birthday. He’s tender hearted and kind, and likely one of the sole reasons (yes, divine intervention too) Rylee hasn’t taken a major tumble down the stairs. He makes the whole family laugh, and after a fight with Brooke, he’ll be holding her hand.
Tanner had a rough start the beginning of 1st grade, kicking and screaming out the door every day. He enjoys it now—“I had to tell my brain I like school and now I do!” There’s still the occasional report from his teacher were he’s not focused, to which he responded, “Maybe I shouldn’t sit next to Anderson!” and later revealed, “Maybe I shouldn’t ‘dream think’ while I’m at school!” Yet he’s making awesome progress, whizzing through 2nd grade sight words and beginning to read CHAPTER BOOKS. The best part of 1st grade is when he writes us love notes. When I put one in his lunchbox, he cherished it! In fact, he still has it in his room. He now has my permission to grow up, knowing he’ll always be my baby boy!
Anthony is the happiest he’s been at his office and had a fantastic year. He’s working the “official” dentist hours– off on Fridays, a total game-changer for our family! Living in KC, the infusion of BBQ obsession has taken full-effect, learning how to SMOKE the best ribs and meats I’ve ever tasted. Anything that furthers his interest in cooking – I fully support!
For me, I’m in full-fledged mommy mode. This has been the 1st year in 10 not working a busy season. I always miss the people (and sometimes the work). I’ve learned there’s only a finite amount of time and I’d rather give my best to those I love the most. The opportunities to serve are endless, whether it’s my own huge family, Tanner’s class at school, or my Mormon family on Sundays. I love it all…except I could do with one less diaper change and one less heap of food thrown on the floor (maybe we should get a dog?!). To be fair, I’ve also spent hours perusing Facebook, trying to sleep through morning cartoons, and when I’m feeling productive, writing on the family blog. I’m not a perfect mom, and I see many of you do it better than me, but I’m THEIR mom, and my love for them is perfect and unconditional (just PLEASE don’t ask at 3am).
Anthony and I are celebrating 10 awesome, wonderful, amazing years of marriage this December. As I’ve watched him wear many hats – drilling on my teeth (braces off = cavities!), wrestling with Tanner and Brooke, rocking Rylee to sleep, kneeling in prayer every night, helping with the mounds of laundry, being Tanner’s den leader for Tiger Cubs, and spending countless hours serving in church, trust me when I say marrying him was the best decision I’ve ever made, and I’m grateful through the sealing powers found in the Holy Temple, he’s mine, FOREVER!
The Love of my family gives me a tiny glimpse of our Savior’s love for each one of us, who promises Light and Love to all who come unto Him. May your season be BRIGHT with the warmth of His LOVE and PEACE! Thanks for amazing example you have shown, filling our year with joy and laughter, friendship and love.


