One of the highlights for me was to do a girl’s trip to Dallas to celebrate my bestie’s birthday.
I still can’t believe I got to fly solo! For TWO whole days! Anthony’s had a few guys weekends this past year so it was my turn to cash in. Anthony agreed to watch the kids (with anxious hopes to give Rylee a much needed crib/sleeping intervention). Rylee kept holding out, not taking a bottle or sippy cup, yet she slept the WHOLE night long. But when returned, she rewarded me by not letting go! One night…up at least 5 times…and one interval more than an hour long. But she did have an ear infection…so at least there’s a logical explanation to her illogical behavior. , in which it worked beautifully one night).
But back to the TRIP! We had so much fun talking, shopping, laughing, eating, relaxing, EATING some more, and catching up on what matters most in our lives...
Seriously, I felt like I was a teenager again – shopping with a friend and no kids! We literally shopped til we dropped. I bought some new make-up at Ulta, got my first pair of jeggings (maternity inspired, for sure, every girl needs some stretchy pants!). We tried on so many clothes, laughing along the way, wondering why the heck you have to jump and wiggle to get them on.
Found the deal of the century at Nordstrom’s Rack – designer Paige denim jeans for only $0.01. I thought for sure it was a mistake but since they were in clearance section I figured they’d still be a good deal. And laughed when she said “Yes, it’s only a penny!” Apparently others have reported similar stories – so it’s a Rack thing. Who needs thrift stores when you have the Penny Rack?!?
Pretty sure I gained ten pounds in 2 days eating at all my faves – Bubba’s fried chicked in Snider Plaza, Good-to-Go Tacos, brunch at Breadwinner’s. So when I don’t fit into any of my clothes, don’t feel sorry for me!
Oh, and that doesn’t include Ruth’s birthday dinner at Texas de Brazil. I’ve laughed WAY more than I have in a long time. Told old friends joined us, Brianne and Karie. Not sure what tipped us all over, but it was somewhere between the server telling us the chop of meat was “laaaaamb” (almost as if he was baa-ing at the same time, lol!) or telling us the chicken had a bone in it when we couldn’t cut thru it. Anyhow, lots of good times reminiscing, talking about our kids in school, comparing notes, and talking about our overly social or anti-social hubbies, stuffing our faces full of food and repeating the same thing each time someone disappeared to the salad bar. Oh man, it was fun times!!!
We did miss Marilouise at dinner too who happened to be away at med school interviews in Lubbock (sometimes its hard having to be responsible, right?!). But we did get to chat the next day, even when she was tired and not feeling well, she still managed her normal rock star behavior, baking yummy cookies and rolling with more laughter. Yep, I have pretty awesome friends!
But it really wasn’t about what we did but who I was with!! I love Ruth to pieces and it was so great to catch up and talk about things so near and dear to our hearts! I love her!!!
When Ruth first moved to Dallas, we were instant friends, like we’ve known each other our entire lives and nothin-is-going-to-change that kinda of friends. More like a sister really. Except I really don’t ever remember being upset or mad at her…so maybe even better than a sister ;)
Throwback to 2012 – Baby shower for baby Brooke And I love that she’s open and vulnerable. Her mind is brilliant and watching her, I got to many great ideas for my own family. Great parenting books to read, activities to do with kids on-the-go (purse packed with fun travel games – brilliant!) and the list goes on.
For family night, I implemented one of her ideas. After a quick lesson on the 10 Lepers – we made Gratitude Chain. Each of the kids were given a few strips of paper to write things they were grateful for – families and candy may have been repeated more than once. But the next morning, Tanner and Brooke were being extra cute, and Tanner on his own added a new strip to our chain that read “I am tank you for sisters!” Happy, cheerful kids – that’s what I’m thankful for!!!
Another awesome idea is that she’s creating a gratitude journal that she writes in daily, and even doing one for her children too. The other day I was trying to tell my sister about how Ruth read what she wrote in her journal one night [and it was about me], but I couldn’t get the words out. I got all chocked up and all I could say was, “and she said we’re invited on their next family vacay!” lol!
Ruth shared this quote ~ pretty much sums it up.
But since I have a hard time deciding…and because I can’t put emotions in words…here’s a few that explain how I feel:
Ruth – Thanks for being my friend. Thanks for sharing yourself and your time with me. Thanks for being real! Thanks for so many memories!


