Monday, September 29, 2008

Mommy's Boy

Lately Tanner has become quite the mommy's boy. He'll be crying for no apparent reason when other people are holding him, but as soon as he's in my arms, he quits down and is totally content.

Part of me loves it! It's so rewarding to know that your child really does know who you are and can tell the difference - and only you have that special touch. But the other part of me feels sad - I want other people to be able to provide the same level of comfort to him too. Especially Anthony and other people who help take care of him. It's frustrating for Anthony, but he does try to do everything possible before handing him over to me. It's just because I'm nursing him...

In a recent study I read about, it discussed ways parents, especially fathers, can develop close relationships with their babies so that when they cry they are easily comforted by both mommy and daddy. And according to the article, the number one factor was the number of diaper changes! Apparently getting down into the dirty business helps develop that close relationship and shows they can satisfy their basic needs as well.

When I told this to Anthony, he at first thought it was a ploy to get him to change all of Tanner's dirty diapers. But now he's always volunteering to change Tanner's diapers whenever he's home - it's great!

PS - I also think nightly bedtime baths accomplish the same thing - getting in their personal space at their eye level and satisfying basic needs - so Anthony also gives Tanner a nightly bedtime bath - in which case he absolutely loves it.