We took Tanner on his first road trip! Ok, so the trip was less than 3 hours away, but we've never taken Tanner any further than Denton and wasn't sure how he'd handle the road. We went to College Station to visit Anthony's sister Kristie, her husband Devin, and baby Madison.
We left early Saturday morning. Tanner woke us up at 6:30 and shortly after we were on the road. I was thinking he would sleep the entire time, but he had other ideas. He did sleep the first hour, but was in the back seat next to him to play with him. For a moment, he was getting anxious so we tried to pull over so I could feed him, but it was a little difficult being in the car where he had too many distractions - so he was no interested in eating. And he ended up falling asleep for the last 30 minutes of the ride. While Tanner slept ok in the car, he thought he had enough to last him the entire day cuz after that he didn't want anything to do with taking a nap. It's a little more difficult when he doesn't have his crib, but still.
We went on a quick tour on Downtown Byran to see the Christmas lights (although not nearly as impressive as SLC), ate ice cream at DQ (well - I should say all of us except for Anthony - his was dropped on the ground accidentally - but he attempted to resurect it), played Farkle in which Kristie creamed everyone, and decorated Christmas sugar cookies. Tanner seems like such a little baby compared to Madison - who is pretty much walking, eating solid foods, sleeping through the night, doing her little baby talk. Madison is about to turn 1 and it's just amazing how many things kids learn to do in their first year of life - and yet so many things to look forward the next year too. Tanner enjoyed watching Madison play with everything - lucky for me, he's still pretty immobile. When they got close to each other, a few times they would try to hug and kiss (or should I say slobber) on the other.
Our visit was short and sweet as we had to turn around the next day to come home. But we had fun and so it was worth every moment. Even though they're just a few hours away, we don't see them nearly enough. And Kristie is such a good mom - creative, fun, organized - you name it. And Devin is a great dad too. I guess now that I have Tanner, I just pay more attention to how parents interact with their kids and always looking for good ideas. As you can tell...I'm still learning.
But we had to leave Sunday night so I could get to work the next day. We left Sunday evening at 7:00 - and after 5 minutes - Tanner was asleep the entire way. Yeah! Overall, the best part about the weekend was just being able to relax and spend some good quality time together as a family. Tanner and Anthony - my two favorite men and I just can't get enough of them.
Looking back, I wish I would have gone to see the musical "Jekyll and Hyde" that Devin was a part of. When Kristie first asked, I didn't really want to have to leave Tanner with someone he didn't know. Bedtime can be pretty tricky - especially when he's not at his own house. And I had such a busy week that I wanted to spend as much time with him as possible. After seeing Devin getting ready for the show, doing his make-up, and seeing clips of the musical made me wish I could have gone to see it. If Devin is ever in another production again, we're totally there.
Thanks Kristie and Devin for the fun weekend!


