Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Baking

I'm not sure what I enjoy more...baking Christmas goodies or eating them. Nonetheless, each year I always double my normal grocery bill and spend most my freetime in the kitchen. But it's just part of the Christmas tradition and helps me to get in the spirit. And if you live close to me, there's a good chance I'll be bringing you some to share...that is if I don't eat it all first.

Here's a quick summary of what I've made:
  • Gingerbread cookies - We discovered Avery's passion for making roll-out cookies when we made these. She took it very seriously - and for once was more concered with making the cookies versus eating the dough. Her favorite part was rolling out the dough. Chelsea couldn't get her to part w/the extra dough. If she had it her way, she would have kept on going. I've never made these before...but they turned out really yummy and I have to say I pretty much ate them all before Anthony could discover them.
  • Sugar cookies - Since Avery had so much fun...we thought we'd get together and make more roll-out cookies. Avery was really into decorating the cookies this time - and insisted on only making "pink" cookies. When it was time to go, I let her load of her plate with the cookies she wanted and she took all the "pink" ones. I didn't want to tell her we were really trying to make RED frosting...
  • Peanut Butter Fudge - Chelsea is the first person to introduce me to this delightful treat. Like any fudge - it's very rich and you can only have a small portion - but it tastes so good. It reminds me of the inside of Reese's Pieces candies.
  • Chocolate Scrumpteous Bars - I guess these really aren't technically a Christmas cookie, but my mom always made them around the holidays and I seem to do the same. I took them for a ward christmas party cause it makes so many - and I do have to say they were the first dessert gone! I had saved some at home for Chelsea cause they are her favorite.
  • Chocolate Covered Pretzels - I took these for a work Christmas party and they seemed to be the hit. A few people seemed surprised that I made them - I guess the christmas sprinkles made them look more professional and then asked for the recipe. You've got to be kidding me - it's just pretzels dipped in almond bark sprinkles with christmas sprinkles. So simple! I also took these to book group - in order to redeem myself from the horrible job I had done the previous year. I ran out of time and hadn't gone to the store - so in a last minute effort, I combined forces with a friend Ruth and melted normal choc chips and normal pretzel sticks. And then I think they spilled over on Ruth in the car! Sometimes, I don't know why I even try!
  • Chex Mix - Ok, I admit, this is one of my favs and i'm totally addicted. it's dangerous cause i'll seriously keep eating it until it's gone. i guess there's worse things for you...
  • Candy Cane Sugar Cookies - These were always a favorite of my dad's - he remembers his own mother making them each year. But my own mom thinks they take a lot of work so she doens't always make them each year. My sister Katelynn returned from ID and was anxious to hang out with me - which was a first. But I totally enjoyed her company and was nice to catch up on what had been going. She sounds like she's doing so well - so I'm proud of the decisions she is making!

And here's the list of things I still need to make before Christmas. Better get busy...

  1. Oreo chocalate candies
  2. Homemade carmels
  3. Peanut Butter Blossoms
  4. Italian Hot Chocolate
  5. Wassal
  6. Nauvoo fudge
  7. Toffee
  8. Peanut Brittle
  9. Peppermint bark
  10. And more of all of the above cause it's already gone.

There's too many yummy things to have a favorite - so that's why I have to make it all. And then for New Year's, I'll make a resolution to go on a diet and loose the extra 10 lbs I seem to gain...